July 9, 2008
» I got a bunch of records from www.folkwaste.com a few weeks ago I’m going to have to listen to this week.
» Listening to Pablo Honey today and hearing all sorts of good little bits here and there I’d sort of blocked out before. Still Radiohead‘s weakest album. Sounds like it was recorded in about two hours. Live through a pub’s PA board. Which it probably was.
» Since I’m working on new material these days, it’s time to put up the whole Urbane Decay Dreambeat EP available for free download. You can do that by clicking this. A streaming player will pop up, but you can click “download” if you so desire.
July 8, 2008
» Maybe I’m tired this morning, but the iTunes previews of Modern Guilt sound really good. Of course, I thought The Information was good for about a week too… Apparently Beck has the ability to pull the wool over my ears. Not this time Beck. I’m not falling for it this time. Nooooo. Huh, the Vancougar record sounds really good too. I’d better check and make sure I’m not having a stroke. Nope, Matt Mays sounds like shite. I’m okay. What else is new… Blind Pilot sound like Devendra Banhart bred with Sufjan, but castrated, with all the awesome sucked out and spit discreetly in a bucket. For people who like their weird folk-pop to contain absolutely nothing weird. Glint would be almost good without the whiny, too-strong, nasal, scenestery vocals. Something breathy and soft and it’d have been pretty decent. Too bad, you fail. The new Ratatat seems to be a little more adventurous. But in the absolutely blandest way you could possibly add a little Animal Collective to their Daft Punk. Sort of a loungy Kid A. Actually a lot like one of those terrible switched on moog records. Not even going to listen to the Melvins. The Sub Pop 20th anniversary sampler includes no Nirvana or Mudhoney (there is a Green River track). Good for you Sub Pop 20th anniversary sampler. I’d forgotten that Sebadoh song is quite good.
» The money keeps falling from the sky. For some reason I got a GST cheque yesterday. Really didn’t think I’d get the rebate this year.
- Are you an innie or an outie? Innie.
- Have you ever written a song? Probably over 2,000.
- Can you make change for a dollar right now? Yes. I have a bag of change in my desk I’m saving for the happy panhandler outside the magazine shop downstairs.
- Have you ever been in the opposite sex’s public toilet? Once or twice.
- Have you ever written a poem? Hundreds.
- Do you like ketchup on or beside your fries? In recent years I’ve adopted the beside technique. I used do it on top. Now I like more control.
- Have you ever been a boy/girl scout? Cub scout. Weird wolf cult. Dib dib dob dob…
- Have you ever written a book? Only my undergrad thesis. A novella called Toast.
- Have you ever broken a mirror? Yes. I’m sure.
- Are you superstitious? Not a bit.
- What is your biggest pet peeve? Slow walkers. Fill me with sidewalk rage.
- Do you slurp your drink after it’s gone? Depends how anxious I feel.
- Have you ever blown bubbles in your milk? I’m sure I have.
- Would you rather eat a Big Mac or a Whopper? Neither. Blech. Wendy’s Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger though…
- Have you ever gone skinny-dipping? Not that I’m aware of.
- Would you ever parachute out of a plane? Fuck no.
- What’s the most daring thing you’ve done? Driven a car.
- When you are at the grocery store, do you ask for paper or plastic? I say, “I don’t need a bag.”
- True or False: You would rather eat steak than pizza. False. Unless it was $25 steak someone else was paying for.
- Did you have a baby blanket? It even had a name: Blankie.
- Have you ever tried to cut your own hair? I did for years there.
- How did that turn out? Patchy. I liked it that way.
- Have you ever sleepwalked? Don’t think so.
- Have you ever had a birthday party at McDonalds? No. Wanted to have my 30th in the Caboose in Nanaimo, but didn’t.
- Can you flip your eye-lids up? Not going to find out.
- Are you double jointed? I have several joints.
- If you could be any age, what age would you be? Space age.
- Have you ever gotten gum stuck in your hair? Maybe.
- Do you ride roller coasters? Not since I was a kid.
- What’s your favorite carnival ride? That spinny paint booth.
- What is your dream car? Electric.
- What is your favorite cartoon of all time? Spirited Away.
- Have you ever eaten a dog biscuit? Yep. And Tender Vittles.
- If so, would you eat another one? Probably not.
- If you were in a car sinking in a lake, what would you do first? Undo the seatbelt.
- Have you ever ridden in an ambulance? Um… no. Wait, yes. Elementary school field trip. Maybe we just sat in the back.
- Can you pick something up with your toes? My shoes. If I’m wearing them.
- How many remote controls do you have in your house? 3.
- Have you ever fallen asleep in school? Yes.
- How many times have you flown in an airplane in the last year? Once, maybe twice.
- How many foreign countries have you visited? I think 9.
- If you were out of shape, would you compete in a triathlon if you were somehow guaranteed to win a big, gaudy medal? No. That’s absurd.
- Would you rather be rich and unhappy, or poor and happy? That’s an absurd question.
- If you fell into quicksand, would you try to swim or try to float? I’d try to float until someone threw me a snake, I guess.
- Do you ask for directions when you are lost? Depends on how lost and how much time I have.
- Have you ever held a Mexican jumping bean? No.
- Are you more like Cinderella or Alice in Wonderland? More like the Cheshire Cat or the White Rabbit.
- Would you rather have an ant farm with no ants or a box of crayons with broken points? That’s an absurd question.
- Do you prefer light or dark bread? Bread made of light? Awesome.
- Do you prefer scrambled or fried eggs? I do not eat eggs. Revolting proto-chicken mestruations.
- Have you ever been in a car that ran out of gas? Yes. Kat’s van. Vince and I had to push it.
- Do you talk in your sleep? Apparently a little.
- Would you rather shovel snow or mow the lawn? Lawn.
- Have you ever played in the rain? That’s an absurd question.
- Did you make mud pies? No.
- Have you ever broken a bone? Not sure.
- Would you climb a very high tree to save a kitten? No. They’ll get down on their own when hunger conquers their fear. Or become a tree-cat. Which is kind of cool.
- Can you tell the difference between a crocodile and an alligator? Yes. But the Mutual of Omaha guy couldn’t apparently.
- Do you drink pepsi or coke? No.
- What’s your favorite number? These days 9.
- If you were a car, would you be an SUV or a sports car? I’d be a hybrid.
- Have you ever accidentally taken something from a hotel? Nothing accidental about it.
- Have you ever slipped in the bathtub? Minorly.
- Do you use regular or deodorant soap? Regular.
- Have you ever locked yourself out of the house? Yes.
- Would you rather make your living as a singing cowboy or as one of the Simpsons voices? That’s an absurd question. Simpson’s voice.
- If you could invite any movie star to your home for dinner, who would it be? Tom Cruise. We’d have a little chat.
- Do you need corrective lenses? One for each eye.
- Would you hang out with / date someone your best friend didn’t like? Didn’t work out so well for me in the past.
- Would you hang out with someone your best friend liked, but you didn’t like? I’ve met some good people that way.
- Have you ever returned a gift? Yes.
- Would you give someone else a gift that had been given to you? Yes.
- If you could attend an Olympic Event, what would it be? Beijing Canal Rat Wrestling.
- If you could participate in an Olympic Event, what would it be? Beijing Canal Rat Wrestling.
- How many pairs of shoes do you own? As of sunday, three!
- If your grandmother gave you a gift that you already have, would you tell her? Probably not.
- Do you sing in the car? Don’t do anything in the car.
- What is your favorite breed of dog? Frankfurter
- Would you donate money to feed starving animals in the winter? What kind of animals?
- What is your favorite fruit? Raspberry.
- What is your least favorite fruit? Tomato.
- What kind of fruit have you never had? Lychee.
- If you won a $5,000 shopping spree to any store, which store would you pick? Some music instrument store, probably.
- What brand sports apparel do you wear the most? Converse Chuck Taylors.
- Are/were you a good student? Dean’s list.
- Among your friends, who could you arm wrestle and beat? Nicole. Maybe.
- If you had to choose, what branch of the military would you be in? Communications.
- What do you think is your best feature? My glasses.
- If you were to win a Grammy, what kind of music would it be for? They don’t give Grammys for “good” music.
- If you were to win an Osacr, what kind of movie would it be for? Probably an art film or animation.
- What is your favorite season? Fall.
- How many members do you have in your immediate family? 2
- Which of the five senses is most important to you? Hearing.
- Would you be a more successful painter or singer? Haven’t been terribly successful at either.
- How many years will/did you end up going to college? 8. Six for my BA + 2 for my Graphic Design.
- Have you ever had surgery? Dental.
- Would you rather be a professional figure skater or professional football player? Absurd. Absurd. Absurd.
- What do you like to collect? Music. Graphic novels. Don’t really like collecting or owning anything anymore but it’s hard to break the habit completely.
- How many collectibles do you have? Not really any “collectibles” anymore. Just “things.”
- What one question would you add to this survey? Have you ever had to kill your own pet?
July 7, 2008
» Bought myself two pairs of shoes yesterday. Doc Martens and some red Chucks. They guy at the store took pleasure in tossing my blown-out slippers in the trash-can outside the store.
» Electronic devices seem to be failing and then repairing themselves around me. The CD drive in my work PC has suddenly decided to start functioning again. For a while it kept spitting post-it notes until it stopped reading discs at all. I guess I finally cleared the sticky-gunge off the lens by repeatedly inserting discs in hopes it would magically work. Which it does now. Also my MP3 player went haywire last week. I’d turn it on and the start-up screen would show up fractured and in mirror writing. Then the display would shut off completely and it’d play the first folder only. Changing the batteries and taking the memory card out didn’t help. After a day and a half, it simply went back to operating as normal. I suspect there’s nanobots in play here.
July 4, 2008
» Even though I’ve been living in Ontario since September, British Columbia wants me to take Climate Action. So they sent me a $100 Climate Action Dividend to do so. I guess I spent it on my transit pass. Thanks, BC!
Nicole got one too and she’s been here for over a year. I guess BC suddenly has too much money. I assume there must be an election coming up back home because this is the stupidest way to fight climate change ever. I don’t see how people having an extra $100 to put gas in their car is going to help.