~ The Vancouver Island Short Film Festival last night was fun. Sara won a special honorable mention award for Best Performance in her film How to Get a Man to Love You Forever, which we joked, she was not “performing” in so much as making a documentary about herself. She was basically playing a mildly psychotic, hilghly manipulative stalker. It was Makito‘s favourite movie due to the the bleeding vagina footage. The big winner was Android 207 [see below] which took Best Film, People’s Choice and Best Technical. Overall, the quality of all the entries was at least 75% better than last year. Last year had a good/bad ratio of about 1:1. This year it was more like 1:0.25.
Best Writing: How To Talk Like a Pirate.
That’s all I could find on YouTube.
~ Bentley is beginning to settle down. When I let him out his carrier on friday night, he walked around hissing at everything for about half an hour. Lamp: hiss. Chair: hiss. Jakob: HISS. Wall: hiss. Then he changed over to yowling. Then Gertrude came in throught the window and that was some exciting drama. Later they had a tussle which seemed to sort out the dominance/power issues. Now he’s reclaimed his spot on the top of the fridge and has decided my alpaca scarf is his now best friend.
~ I might be going crazy, but I think the 7-Eleven coffee has gotten slightly better. Though I’m scared to try their Xtreme Power Blend [or whatever it is] which has ginseng and guarana and other Redbull type nonsense in it.
see_dot_rant, the bastard, tagged me with writing five damn things people don’t know about me. Which is a trouble because for the past two weeks, Marie and I have been writing these lists back and forth to each other. And so my five things have to be “five things [most] people, other than Marie, don’t know about me.”
1) In grade 12 drama I had to direct a play and it was a disaster. I couldn’t get the two leads to rehearse at all. It had a line in it that was “It isn’t even garbage intrinsic to this household” and now whenever I hear the word intrinsic I still see the Monique Spielman’s face and shiver with a slight feeling a dread.
2) My first love was Alicia Yakabowski [sp] in grade 7. She was perfection. Then she moved to San Diego. Then she came back to visit in grade 8 and was suddenly two feet taller than me. Then she moved back in grade 12, but went to the other highschool, and was a total ho bag.
3) My first “real” job was working for a portable sawmill operator named Bruce. We’d go to people’s houses and saw the trees they’d cut down down into boards for them. Due to the noise of the saw, we only could talk for 5 minutes before and after shift, and three fifteen minute breaks during the day. In one day he used the word “fuck” 36 times. That’s on top of his usage of the words “shit”, “pussy”, “bitch” and “cunt.” Also, once we were driving to a job and these two 10-12 year old girl walked in front of the truck at a stop light and he said, “Some nice teets growin’ on them young heffers.” True story.
4) I loved dodge ball with an intense passion.
5) My mom had owl figurines when i was a kid. We thought she liked them. She didn’t, really. But we thought she did and I bought her more every birthday and mothers’ day. Then she threw them out one year.